Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Will this ever get better?

I was MIA yesterday. Partly because I was gone for most of the day. Partly because I was still in shock over the eyeglass experience.

The appointment lasted nearly three hours. Three. I read half a book in the waiting room. The doctor called me back to tell me that DS's eyes had worsened considerably, which was somewhat puzzling as they were expected to be fairly stagnant from here on out. So he was going to do some further testing to make sure there wasn't an underlying cause. As DS has some serious chronic health issues anyway, this was enough to make me edgy to begin with.

After another round of testing, the doctor assured me DS's eyes were healthy and he just needs a new pair of specs. So we head over to the other side of the office to check out the offerings. I ask to see the $99 for everything section. That section included a whopping four frames, none of which DS would be caught dead in - and I couldn't blame him. So we moved on. DS finally settled on a set of frames that cost $180. Insurance would pick up $100 and we would pay 80% of the remainder - $64. Not ideal, but I didn't think that was too bad.

So the woman starts keying in all the information, the insurance, the discounts, the prescription etc. She then turns her screen around to show me my final price. The only reason I didn't fall out of the chair is because I thought I was looking at the wrong number. I made her point to it.

Are you ready? ....$410!

I all but started crying right there in the middle of the office. When I recovered a bit, I stammered a lot and said I had never paid that much for glasses and how could they be that much - after insurance and discounts?? She said it was the specialty lenses that DS now requires.

And, you know, it's kind of like when you take the car to be fixed and they tell you what it's going to cost to make it drivable. I mean, what can you do? You have to have it. DS has to have glasses to see.

So I pulled out my grocery money for the week and wrote a check for the rest and paid half of the bill. The other $200 will be due when we pick up the glasses. I haven't figured out where that's coming from. I really don't know. In the past, I would have paid for them with a credit card, so I guess I'm making progress. But it sure doesn't feel like it.

I'm sick. Just sick. And I cannot wait for the day when I can handle an unexpected $400 bill without losing sleep that night. I just wonder if that day will ever come.

Sarah

13 comments:

  1. Oh Sarah, that is very frustrating. Unfortunately this journey is, to say the least, challenging. But how could something so worthwhile (freedom from debt) come easily. Know that there are many others in the trenches with you and keep on digging. You and the family can figure it out. Don't carry the burden alone. For now I'm sending virtual hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Those are some lenses. First, you aren't alone. Second sometimes this stuff happens. You will figure it out and you will make some sacrifices in the mean time. I want to celebrate you're behaviour change to not bring out that credit card and pay for it but to decide to figure out where else the money can come from.

    I noticed something you might want to fix as well - you're little tracker has you in a 1161825....debt. I'm fairly certain you aren't in $1,161,825 worth of debt. It's something small but it all helps to change how we are thinking about life and debt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the hugs, Little Lamb. I'm holding on to them all today. You are right - it is certainly a worthwhile goal. It's just hard when it seems so far out of reach. Thanks for being here.

    Finding - thanks for the encouragement. I will admit that I was wishing I had a cc in my wallet. But I have stopped carrying them for that very reason. And I have seen the problem with the ticker but haven't figured out how to fix it yet. I may have to ditch it and configure a new one. No, I don't want to be $1 million + in debt, even when it feels like I already am!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unless there is some issue with the ticker you should be able to fix it when you go to edit. There is a spot for initial debt and if you fix it there that should take care of it. HTH

    And yes congrats on keeping those credit cards out of your wallet, it can be very hard to do soemtimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The numbers in the ticker are correct when I go to edit. That additional bold-faced 1 is what I can't figure out. It doesn't show up until the ticker is displayed. I tried creating a new one and the same thing happens. I may just have to ditch it for now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you've stopped incurring debt, taken a stance, and started the journey toward freedom from debt, that's the second that the stars and planets align in a interplanetary conspiracy to mess with your well thought out plans for debt repayment! At least that's how it seems. You are not alone. We all struggle with the choices that we have to make.
    You'll go over the numbers a gazillion times to figure out where that other $200 is coming from, without using debt.
    Your mindset is changing, and that's what's most important. It's only a setback. Breathe, and remember, This too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You said it Eboo. I hate feeling this out of control. I'm going to hang on to your promise that this too shall pass.

    Breathing now. Breathing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh Sarah ((hugs)) it's awful when stuff like this happens. The really important thing is that this wasn't an extravagance, he needs these glasses how and you are doing the best thing for him by getting the right lenses. You did all you could to get a good deal. You're a good mum, and it was the right thing to do, so don't beat yourself up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. God never sends us more than we can handle, so they say, so you must be one tough broad!! I know the feeling you are experiencing - I've been there, so has everyone else who has commented thus far. I have felt that absolute panic when your mind starts flicking through your mental rolodex of ideas and there's no answer. Hopefully, with your family, you can figure out a way. We're all rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much, Louise and Jane. It means a great deal that I have friends in my corner. My husband and I are going to sit down this week and try to figure this challenge out. The panic is still there, but at least I don't feel alone!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw Sarah I am sorry to hear about the glasses. I know you didn't pay for then on credit, so is the optometrist ok with repairs, incase anything happens to them?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just hate this when it happens. You are trying so hard and wham the bill hits. I still think this was an awfully high bill. Also smug of the girl helping you to not think that this was a little unreasonable. I mean really that much after insurance? Then to not even give you options that could have saved you money is wrong. Could you have had the prescription and frames purchased at say Costco? or online? I think independent optometrists charge way too much. I see one at Shopko and then once a year go to a Ophthalmologist. I also have weird bad eyes. But done is done. I am sorry but I am so mad for you. GRRRRRRR!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sarah, they will take care of the repairs and the optometrist is very good. Still ...

    Window, you're right. It is awfully high. I still can't get my mind wrapped around it and I still feel like I was taken. I have already decided that next time I'll try taking the prescription somewhere else. DS has a lot of medical issues and going somewhere else on Monday would have been a huge ordeal. And, I admit it, I was tired. Expensive lesson. But thanks for being mad for me!

    ReplyDelete