Tuesday, April 12, 2011

My shovel is a spoon ... and that's OK

I was listening to Dave Ramsey today and he was talking about how some people clawing their way out of debt have really big shovels.

I wish.

Jenny and I were deliberate in our naming of this blog. Both of us are a long way from having even a small shovel. We have spoons. Little ones. Just when I started to let that thought get the best of me, I remembered a movie my son was watching this weekend. It's a family favorite: The Shawshank Redemption.

If you haven't seen Shawshank, I'm about to spoil it for you, so read further at your own risk. It's the story of a successful banker wrongly convicted of killing his wife and sentenced to life in Shawshank, a prison run by a corrupt wardon. Life goes on for Andy for two decades until one morning when he is found to be missing from his cell. Behind a poster is the hole through which Andy escaped. It turns out he had been digging that hole for 20 years with a tiny rock hammer, one handful of debris at a time.

I kind of feel like Andy. The going will be slow, but at the end will be freedom, glorious freedom.

Jenny and I will get there. One spoonful at a time.

Sarah

4 comments:

  1. I know how you feel... i feel the same way. But I know we will get there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it can feel like it's only a teaspoon at the start! But once your a few months on the plan you get traction and it starts moving along quicker.

    I love the shawshank redemption movie too, nice comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember, because you've decided to change your lives, you're both using your tiny spoons to fill in the hole you are in, not making it worse. Some people never get to that point. You are fixing this yourselves, which is something to be commended.
    Every day gets a teensy bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One spoonful, very true! We will get there, eventually! =)

    ReplyDelete