Monday, April 18, 2011

Meal plan ... and eyeglass anxiety

We eat most meals at home (and pack lunches), but I've never done real meal plans. The way it usually works is that sometime after breakfast, I look in the freezer, see what's there and pull something out to either defrost or stick in the crockpot for that night. There's not much advance thinking involved.

But I know a lot of you do weekly plans with the idea - I think - that it will save money in the long-run. I'm not sure whether it will save me money, but it might make life a bit easier, so I'm game to give it a shot. I'm going to come up with five dinners each week, figuring we have at least one night a week that is leftovers and weekends are often fix-your-own. The only thing I'm not going to do is specify particular days for particular meals. I'd rather have the flexibility. I can just glance at my list and quickly decide on one for that evening.

This week's meal plans:

Beef stew (this is tonight's - already in the crockpot), noodles, carrots

Chicken sliders, tossed salad, corn

Calzones, apples, corn

Grilled salmon, rice, black beans

Grilled chicken, green beans, baked potatoes (cooked in crockpot)

We're getting to the season that my menus will be more interesting, since we like to use the grill in the warmer weather. That and the expanding choices at the farmer's market will help. We may not always eat the healthiest choices, but I think we do OK.

Next on today's agenda is taking my son to the eye doctor. He desperately needs new glasses and will have to have an exam before they'll write a prescription. With our insurance, the exam will cost me $15. Basic lenses (without all the frills I know they'll try to sell me) are free and I'll be allowed $100 for frames. Anything over $100 I will pay out of pocket. And that's where my anxiety kicks in. Frames can be expensive. Really expensive. And given that my son is in high school who needs to wear his glasses all waking hours, I don't think it's fair to get him the cheapest pair, just because they're the cheapest. Aside from reasonable durability, they need to be somewhat fashionable.

Can I find fashionable, durable frames at the place where I'm required to buy them for under $100? Stay tuned.

Sarah

9 comments:

  1. This week is also the very first time I actually wrote out a meal plan for the entire week. I already had to switch it up, but I have all the required bits for all the meals. I only have to go back out to buy coffee and milk this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I'm shooting for, Eboo. Just making sure I have what's on hand so I don't get something out to thaw, only to find out I can't make what I had been thinking about all day. We'll see how it goes. ... And thanks so much for the savings chart!! I'll keep you posted on how that goes.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah,

    Here's a link to a website that sells glasses way cheaper.

    http://www.clearlycontacts.ca/glasses

    It's Canadian but I'm sure there are US ones out there. Perhaps your son can pick out some frames and you can get the style number and search for them online much cheaper. My cousin told me that this site has free frames once a month too. Not sure how this all works with a medical plan but might be worth looking into.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Little Lamb! I'll check out that site. I actually just found a coupon for lenses and frames for $99 - select styles, of course. I'm going to check that out when we go, too. Crossing my fingers that "select styles" is not code for old-lady style :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi girls, you've inspired me to restart my financial clear up. I think food is my biggest expense. Probably because I love it !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Redgirl, and welcome to the PF world :) As you can see, both of us have a loooongg way to go, but we're hoping the accountability of each other and this blog will help us get there. We're happy that you're going to join us on this journey! Food is one of my budget-busters, too. I haven't figured out the solution yet, but I'm trying!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and Redgirl - for whatever reason, all of my comments on others' blogs end up in their spam folders. So please check yours routinely. I leave lots of comments, but not many show up - I've already visited your blog!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you thought about doing one meal a week as meatless? That's a good way to save money and it's good for the environment too! Also, I added you to my blog list, and I'd love to be on yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LBC, good point. We do end up doing a meatless meal every so often, though not truly meatless. Things like pancakes and bacon. Or baked potatoes with leftover chili. I guess using the meat as a side, rather than the main dish. I'll have to think on that. Added you to our blog roll - looking forward to reading what you have to say. Be forewarned that my comments tend to end up in everyone's spam folder, so check for me there on occasion :)

    ReplyDelete