Wednesday, April 27, 2011

I took the bait to get $50

I got an email this morning from IngDirect, where we have a savings account. It was an ad promoting Orange Checking and offering a $50 bonus to sign up.

I may be dumb, but free money sounds pretty good to me. I read the terms and couldn't find a catch. I'll receive a check card and if I use it three times in the next 45 days, Ing will deposit $50 in our account on Day 50. The best part is that it only requires a $1 deposit to open. The only caveat is that I think they run a credit check because they want to give you an overdraft line of credit. I said I didn't want any overdraft protection, but they still might run a credit check. I should be OK there, but we'll see.

I hope it works. An extra $50 would be a nice way to kick off the summer.

Sarah

12 comments:

  1. I see a lot of PFers using ING /Orange online banking so it must be fairly safe and reputable. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am interested in this, not necessarily the card but opening ING savings. How is that done?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no catch whatsoever. I opened one last year when they were offering a $121 sign-up bonus.

    Free money is always good! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did the same thing, however, I never received my $50.00 bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Out My Window: It's very easy to open a savings account with ING. I've used them for years. Just go to their website. You link it to your regular checking account. What I opened today was a checking account with a debit card, not a credit card, so no worries there.

    @Petunia: Wow! $121, you got a great deal!

    @Rhitter: Sure hope I have better luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet! Can't you get extra money too if other people sign up using your orange key? We can in Canada. Might just be a savings account though. Not to sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Little Lamb ... apparently you Canadians are extra special! We don't get orange keys in the States ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Sarah - I contacted them and they deposited the money today. However, they placed a 30-day hold. Maybe it is to investigate why? Not sure, but I am glad I reached out to them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Rhitter - So glad you contacted them. Good to know they make good on their word, though I think they could have skipped the hold. Something to look forward to, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I signed up last month, so I'm crossing my fingers for the $50 bonus. I now have a checking account, savings account, and my Roth IRA there. So far I've been pretty pleased! I still prefer my main accounts through PNC Virtual Wallet, but it was worth it to get free money. I like the debit card too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do most of my banking with ING. I got $25 when a friend opened an account and used my Orange Key #. I have banked with them for years now and have had NO issues - they did a mortgage app for me last summer over the phone and then phoned me back the same day with the approval. LOVE ING!

    ReplyDelete