Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Good news, bad news

I logged in to our checking account this morning to make sure things were in order. The posted balance looked off to me, so I pulled out my real checkbook and went back to the last time I reconciled it with the official bank statement. I started there and punched the entries into the calculator. All was going along swimmingly, until I got to April 17th. And I realized with horror that I had subtracted $5.02 instead of the $50.20 that the gas for the car had cost. A $45.18 mistake.

That's the bad news. The good news is that I caught it before the account was shoved into overdraft because of my mistake. I moved enough money from the EF to cover it for a few days and will return it to the EF on Friday (payday).

It's this kind of thing that makes me so determined to keep beating down this debt. I can't wait for the day when I make a mistake and, in the grand scheme of things, it won't matter because there will be enough money sitting there to cover my inability to add and subtract at a sixth-grade level.

On another note, thank you all again for your support during this journey. You are making the difference by keeping me accountable and by continuing to encourage me. Your suggestions to yesterday's post were great and I'm thinking hard about what I want to do. You guys are the greatest!

And on that note, I'm going to spend today seeing if I can find anything to sell. Wish me luck!

Sarah

7 comments:

  1. Paying attention to the finances is important, and you've learned first hand why it is so important! What a pickle you could have been in if you hadn't caught that mistake.
    You're doing well and things will get better with time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is me every day. I hate it! I just want to get out of debt and not have to worry every time a little stupid mistake rolls me into chaos. I have a hard time paying attention, because I am always on the run. But someday I won't be like this and you are helping me! I get so much encouragement knowing that you also struggle with this. We will conquer DEBT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice catch :) That could've been a costly mistake! Good luck finding items to sell :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, those NSF fees can be costly!! Which in itself sucks because already you don't have enough $$ in your account to cover said cheque and they penalize you by making you even more overdrawn - does that make any sense at all - NO! But then, banks aren't in business to be nice. At least you caught it in time and it's a huge MOTIVATOR!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good catch. And that is why I log into my banking on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankfully you caught it and thankfully you had some efund money to cover it! That's huge!!! Hope you found some stuff to sell.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great catch!! Those fee's are awful!!

    BTW, You totally inspire me and keep me accountable. =)

    ReplyDelete