Thursday, April 7, 2011

Changing the way I think

I started the week with $79.25 to last until payday. Given the price of gas and our long commutes, this was not good news. In the past, I would have groaned and gone on as usual, knowing I had a credit card in my pocket "for emergencies."

But a funny thing happened on my way to a budget. We put away the credit cards five months ago, and now that we have five of them in BLPs, using them is no longer an option. So instead of worrying about not having a crutch, I concentrated on seeing if I could finish the week with at least a few cents to my name.

The hubby filled his car with gas, eating up the bulk of the money. My car was closing in on the "E" and there wasn't near enough money to fill the tank. Instead, I put in $20 and vowed to only drive when absolutely necessary. That left $7.62 left. Not a lot of margin for error.

When we ran out of snacks, I baked instead of bought. When I thought about "running out" for a quick errand, I stayed home instead. It was sort of a game, though I'm not ready to say it was all that fun ... yet. Whipping out a credit card never entered my mind. And surprisingly, I was left with a feeling of peace and accomplishment that I had consciously taken steps to make sure our debt didn't go up.

Tomorrow is payday and we have $7.62. We're going to make it. I think I'll mark down 2011 as the year that we took control.

It feels good.

Sarah

8 comments:

  1. Great job Sarah! Knew you could do it!!! Getting creative and playing the "game". That's kind of the way I think of it too. Some days its more fun than others. Some days its down right miserable but I know there will be better days so I keep trudging along. In fact I was thinking as I was heading to bed last night, Sarah only has tomorrow and then its payday. Umm I think the PF blogs are taking over my life! LOL For me I have until next Friday for payday and my car is just a little above 1/4 of a tank and there is no money in my gas jar.... Guess I better figure that one out. Oh and gas here jumped from 1.13/litre to 1.29/litre. GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were thinking of me when you were heading to bed?!! Yes, I do believe the PF blogs are taking over :) Thanks so much for the encouragement - it helps. Now it's your turn - you can do it, too! Although, I hope you have public transportation available ... or not much driving to do. We're in this together!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finding the 'fun' in the challenges of having a limited amount of money can be a good thing!
    I agree, blogs are taking over my life (not that it's a bad thing). this morning my daughter said to me, "Please DO NOT blog about me today , Mom."
    (Commenting on someone else's blog isn't breaking my promise, is it? I didn't say what it was about...) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WooHoo!! you did it! good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eboo, I don't think you broke your promise at all :)

    Thanks, Louise! But I must admit I'm mighty glad tomorrow is payday!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. well done!!! do you know what you are going to do with the extra money?will you snowflake it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good question, Sarah! I've actually been thinking about it and I've decided to use the week's leftovers to snowflake to Discover. I want that puppy gone!!

    ReplyDelete