Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Food for thought

Given that our budget is, um, tight, I've been looking at our variable expenses and trying to see where we have room to cut. Let's see. Eating out? Yeah, haven't done that in ... oh, never mind. Manicures and pedicures? Ha, ha, ha, ha! Entertainment? Does a trip to Walmart count? That leaves food.

Groceries are definitely a budget buster for us. We eat at home, pack lunches and I have teenagers who like to snack. A lot. I've always had a hard time figuring out what I should be spending, though. So I headed over to the government site to see what the brilliant folks there might have to say. I added up what it says I should be spending on a thrifty budget. Four people, $152 a week. That's the thrifty budget? I do better than that without even trying. Just for kicks, I tallied up the liberal budget. A whopping $302 a week. Filet Mignon anyone?

So that didn't help. Back to the drawing board. I do the basics. I clip coupons, but don't use bunches because the generic brands are usually cheaper. I buy boneless chicken breasts for $1.79 a pound (I guess this is a splurge - I could use cheaper cuts or debone myself). We eat ground beef once or twice a week. Breakfast is whatever cereal is on sale. Apples and bananas are staples. In summer, we expand to what's in season. I know there are areas I can cut. But I don't want to end up with a pantry full of food no one will eat, either. I need to be more vigilant about this. Maybe that will be my goal for April.

At least the government thinks I'm doing fine. Comforting thought, huh?

Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Budgeting is just hard in general. Some months we do a great job.... and others... well.... we blog about it and share our not so successful budget habits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, Lisa. I can tell it's going to take awhile to get a real working budget going. Hoping to learn from those who have gone before us ... I've enjoyed looking over your blog. Thanks for the encouragement!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete